Kingstown is the capital of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. The modern capital, Kingstown, was founded by French settlers shortly after 1722, although Saint Vincent had 196 years of British rule before her independence.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit St. Vincent & The Grenadines is from May to June and in November. The peak season—December through April—lures the most European visitors with its warm Caribbean temperatures.
Top Places to Visit in Kingstown
1. St Vincent Botanical Gardens
Established in 1765, the delightful St Vincent Botanical Gardens are the oldest in the West Indies. The gardens encompass 20 acres of indigenous and exotic tropical plants and trees, such as hibiscus, cinnamon, nutmeg, mahogany, palms, and a breadfruit tree reputedly grown from a seedling brought to the island by Captain Bligh. Bird lovers will enjoy the aviary of St Vincent parrots. Also on the grounds, the St Vincent National Museum displays pre-Columbian Indian, Arawak, and Carib artifacts, stone carvings, and clay works.
2. Fort Charlotte
Fort Charlotte is a British-colonial era fort, built on a hill over-looking the harbour of Kingstown, Saint Vincent. It is located in the parish of Saint Andrew, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. at the top of Edinboro road, on Berkshire Hill, just west of the town. Standing at 600 feet above the sea level, it is the major early 19th century fortification in Saint Vincent. The fort enjoys a panoramic view of the Leeward side of the island, including Kingstown, Young Island, the Caribbean, Bequia and the Grenadines. On a clear day, Grenada 90 miles to the south, can be seen (using binoculars of course.) The fort is the home of the Fort Charlotte Light, which acts as a beacon for the entrance to Kingstown Bay, it gives off three white flashes every 20 seconds. The Coastguard radio station and harbour signal station are based here too.
3. St. Mary’s Cathedral
St. Mary’s Cathedral, Is the name given to a religious building affiliated with the Catholic Church which is located in the city of Kingstown. Its history dates back to a first structure erected in stages from 1823, although the present building was completed in the 1930s decade. It was declared Co-catedral of the Diocese of Bridgetown-Kingston in 1971 and since 1989 is Kingstown’s Cathedral. It stands out for its striking architecture which is a combination of styles (Moorish, Romanesque, Byzantine, Venetian and Flemish) that strongly contrasts with the rest of the city.