Nahanni National Park is a 4,700 sq. km. undisturbed natural area of deep river canyons cutting through mountain ranges, with huge waterfalls and complex cave systems. The geo-morphology of the park is outstanding in its wealth of form and complexity of evolution. Within the park are examples of almost every distinct category of river or stream that is known along with one of North America’s huge waterfalls, Virginia Falls. In 1978, this national park listed in UNESCO Heritage list.
Located along the South Nahanni River, one of the most spectacular wild rivers in North America.
About Nahanni National Park
1. In Nahanni National Park, there is exceptional representation of on-going geological processes, notably fluvial erosion, tectonic uplift, folding and canyon development, wind erosion, karst and pseudo-karst landforms, and a variety of hot springs. The major geologic and geomorphologic features provide a combination of geological processes that are globally unique.
2. The Nahanni River is one of the most spectacular wild rivers in North America, with deep canyons, huge waterfalls, and spectacular karst terrain, cave systems and hot springs. Exposure of geologic and geomorphologic features includes the meanders of ancient rivers, now raised high above present river levels.
3. The park is also home to animals of the boreal forest, such as wolves, grizzly bears and caribou. Dall’s sheep and mountain goats are found in the park’s alpine environment. According to Parks Canada there are 42 mammal, 180 bird, 16 fish and a few amphibian species found in the park.
4. The Rabbitkettle Hotsprings and tufa mounds are the largest of tufa mounds in Canada. The source of the springs comes from deep in the earths crust, near the base of the granite batholiths that form the Ragged Range. The volcanic activity that raised the mountains still heats the water deep below the surface of the earth.
5. At Virginia Falls or Nailicho in Dene, the river plunges 90 m (295 ft) in a thunderous plume. Including the Sluice Box Rapids above the falls, it is more than twice the height of Niagara Falls. In the centre of the falls is a dramatic spire of resistant rock.
6. In 2007, the park was voted one of the Seven Wonders of Canada in a competition.
Best Time to Visit
If you are planning a Travel to Canada then visit in September – October. The weather is comfortable in autumn, and the changing colours of the fall foliage is spectacular. Most outdoor activities can be enjoyed and temperatures, though cooler, are still pleasant.