Manuel Antonio National Park is a small National Park established in 1972 in the Central Pacific Conservation Area.It is so popular because of its expansive white sand beaches backed by an evergreen forest that grows right up to the high tide line. The principal habitats are primary forest, secondary forest, mangrove swamps, lagoons and beach vegetation. There is quite a varied fauna with 109 species of mammals and 184 of birds. The park includes 12 little isles just off the coast; these often visited by a number of dolphins and, at times, migrating whales can be observed. Among the main attractions are the beaches surrounded by rainforest. Because of this, the park attracts surfers, swimmers, birders and ecotourists.
Located on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, just south of the city of Quepos, Puntarenas, and 132 km (82 mi) from the national capital of San José.
About Manuel Antonio National Park
- This park has impressive landscapes and several coves with many white sand beaches and lush foliage amidst great mountains and forests that reach the beaches. Additionally, it is located in the tropical forest.
- For its excellent climate and scenic beauty is visited by large number of national and international tourism, for which it is currently developing an adequate infrastructure, with emphasis on harmony with nature.
- Four beaches are contained within the limits of the park: Manuel Antonio, Espadilla Sur, Teloro, and Playita. With their large light sand berms, it is easy to see why they attract
beach goers of all ages. The first is separated from the second by a “tombolo”, or natural land bridge formed by sand accumulations.
- Scuba diving, snorkeling, sea kayaking, mountain biking, and hiking provide opportunities to experience the tropical wildlife that enriches Manuel Antonio.
- The Pacific Ocean in front of Manuel Antonio Park is also world-renowned for its fishing.
How to Get There
Travel to the area is easy and can be done in a number of different ways. Regularly scheduled air service is available through Sansa Airlines, the flight takes 20 minutes. It is a two and a half hour or more, drive by car or bus from San Jose depending on the weather and traffic. Direct buses leave from Tracopa Terminal at Plaza Viquez in San Jose six times a day. These are large, comfortable Mercedes buses.
Best Time to Visit
December to March is dry season and best season to visit the National Park.
Manuel Antonio National Park is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Costa Rica, with easy access, ease and variety of services including all meals and accommodation and wide range of flora and fauna in such a small place, the park is among the most visited in the country. If you are planning a Travel to Costa Rica then this National Park is worth to visit.